Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Help! My student's bored!

ESL education here in the Philippines is most commonly done on a one-on-one basis that could last for several months. I hate to admit it but I believe that some of you might agree with me that this kind of set up can sometimes be a wearisome routine. Especially if you meet with your student for an hour a day, five times a week. Monotony could be the culprit in affecting your student's performance and attitude towards class. So how do we deal with this?
What I usually do first off  is to plan the whole month's lessons and activities very well. Aside from following a syllabus, I always try to vary my lessons twice a week. And I declare Fridays to be Free-days. Free days are when we steer away from our workbook and do different activities such as games, listening exercises, sharing and discussing interesting videos (could be movie trailers, funny videos, music videos or sports clips) from Youtube and of course, speaking activities about random topics.
At times when I notice that my student is especially quiet or distracted, I call for a breather and I use up the time to do quick activities or games. I make a list of short activities or games that we can do during times like this, one of them would be a game I call "Give me 10!". This game is very simple and can be played by any level. All you have to do is ask your student to give you a list of 10 things about a certain topic. For instance, ask your student for 10 things he/she did in the last 2 hours, or 10 things you can find in his/her room, or 10 things that didn't exist 50 years ago, or 10 random facts about themselves etc etc.
I'm presently doing a quick survey of tips on how to avoid boredom in class from fellow ESL teachers. I hoping I could get their opinions by tomorrow and I'll definitely share it with you guys :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment